1) I've been doing a Christmas card letter for only the past five years or so, but there's been times it's been hard enough to be cheerful about it that I wrote a fic about it in the middle of Season Five.
2) Mr. Z and I haven't had a Christmas tree for about six years, but I'm really hoping we have one this year.
3) For the last several years, we've escaped over winter break to somewhere warmer, but I think this year we're going to stay put.
4) When I was a kid, I got to open one present on Christmas Eve, but the rest waited till Christmas Day.
5) I've never gone to church on Christmas Eve or Day.
6) Our family's traditional, must-have Christmas cookie is the Dutch sand cookie. With seasonal sprinkles on top, of course.
7) I have no Christmas quilts. That should be rectified!
8) My birthday is right after the holidays, so when I was a kid, birthday presents and Christmas presents often came together.
9) When I lived in LA, it was so bizarre to see the shop displays with fake snow. Like, there's no way you're going to have a white Christmas, so have a more climate-appropriate celebration!
10) When I lived in LA and found out Irving Berlin wrote "White Christmas" because he missed the snow back home in New York, I came to appreciate the song a lot more.
11) "Have Yourself a Merry Christmas" is possibly my favorite Christmas carol, but only if sung with the original wartime lyrics. ("Someday soon we all will be together/If the fates allow/Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow")
12) My family's treetopper has always been, not a star, but a little Dutch girl doll because of my Mom's Dutch heritage.
How about you?
I know the 12 days of Christmas aren't till later, and I missed the start of the month for an advent-calendar-type thing, BUT I saw this on meh-guh's tumblr and thought it sounded cool (slightly modified). Not sure I can pull off one per day, but let's give this a shot:
Drummers Drumming:Twelve facts about my holiday life
Pipers Piping:Eleven of my favorite things
Lords a-Leaping:Ten things I like about my personality
Ladies Dancing: Nine facts about my body
Maids a-Milking:Eight things I like about my friends
Swans a-Swimming:Seven foods I dislike
Geese a-Laying:Six quirks
Golden Rings:Five shiny things I like
Calling Birds:Four things I dislike about my life
French Hens: Three rivals/enemies
Turtle Doves:Two people I like
Partridge in a Pear Tree:My one love